Friday, August 31, 2012

8/31 Stampin' Up! Watering Can, Sweet Essentials and Papillion Potpourri

Good Morning Friends!  

I haven't completed a tutorial for this gorgeous project yet.  I will work on that when I have some time, but here's another project I shared at the Providence RI regional seminar showing things you can make with the petal cone die.    The person in the background is my muse friend Diane.  I ALWAYS craft better, faster and with more creativity, when I have someone here to laugh with me.  :) 
The original idea that you could make a watering can from a petal cone die came from my friend Colleen Reddy.  She's in my down line and is a busy mom, coach and more.  She told me I needed to make one and perfect it so she could have the pattern.  :)   Love her! 

For now, I'm going to describe it and show you multiple views,  many of you crafty folks won't need step by steps. 

So I cut two petal cone dies, folded them and cut the tip off.  I probably cut about 1 1/2" to 2" off at the tip of the pouch.  When you open them up, you need two to stick together.  Ok, I already said that.. LOL  


On the back of the can, I used one of the strips that came out of the die when I cut the original two petal cones.  It looks like a banner.  I just creased it with my fingers, punched a hole and put a vintage brad through.  On the bottom, i did the same thing.  Pinch with your fingers to make a crease, then cut the excess across the bottom.  

I dont have a picture of the bottom, but I suggest cutting two pieces of heavy cardstock in a coordinating color to 2 5/8" square.  I used tombo multipurpose adhesive, liquid glue to assemble the whole project, and I stuck a full square on the inside of the can and then again on the outside at the bottom where the flaps go in.  I hope that makes sense.  It really makes the can more solid. 


 The butterflies are stamped on peuce (my loving nickname for ) Summer Starfruit card stock with more mustard ink and sponged.  I attached the butterflies with a glue dot in the center, and then added pearls that I painted with the gold marker from the mini.  You do need a few seconds for the paint to dry, but it comes out so vintage beautiful!

This picture gives a great view of the whole project.  I used more mustard ink on more mustard paper and cut an extra banner from the petal cone die to make my "FRIENDS" banner.  This is also a good view of the top of the water spout.  which is a punch from the new 1 1/4" scalloped circle punch from the holiday catalog.

So for the photo below, to get the circle to "stick" properly to the end of the tube, I stuffed a bunch of dimensionals in the tube and sanded it until I had a tube with a flat end, then I used the tombo liquid glue to attach the top. I love the "green tube" glue!
Here's the view of the spout.  I got this technique from my friend Regina Maginnis.  I cut into the scalloped circle all the way around, just a little bit.  I sponged the edges.  Then rounded them in with my bone folder.  I used a summer starfruit dahlia for the inside of the spout and spruced that up with my gold pen to add that vintage gold feel to it.

To make the spout I cut a 3" square piece of paper and rolled it around a pencil to make the shape.  When I got it small enough I used sticky strip to make the "roll".  Next, I used the back of my scissors to pierce a hole through my little petal cone base.  The punches wont fit in there.  I punched another 1 1/4" circle, and used my 1/2" circle punch to punch a few holes until my cylinder would fit through the hole to cover the hole I made with my snips.  I cut the excess of the circle off at the bottom of the watering can.  I also added a strip of sticky strip at the base of the can, so when my cylinder went through my hole, it would have something to stick to inside to make it solid.

I really should try and do directions for it.  It was a labor of love.  First, I need to make another one.  I gave all my projects to Stampin' Up for display at the end of the regionals.  Except for two projects.  One I kept, and this watering can, I gave to a dear friend, Pam.
I am pretty sure this is going to be a hostess gift for all my September and October private class/workshops.  I love making them and they are so pretty when they are finished.  :)  Anyone want to book a private class to make this one? :)

Have a wonderful, restful weekend and hold your loved ones close!
Rubbah hugs,

Selene Kempton

9 comments:

Carol Matthews said...

Hi Selene - this is adorable! You even make...summer starfruit look good!!! :0)
Thanks for sharing your talents.

Unknown said...

I love this! Plus I love summerstar fruit! I just painted my studio that color!!!

Unknown said...

This is too cute! I absolutely love everything about it.

LeAnne said...

Just adorable....if I only had that die!!!! Very clever & creative!

Kay Hahn Casler said...

This is the best watering can I have seen!! Very clever! I love the way you did it. Have to find some time to try making one. Thank you!!!

Andrea L - EnchantINK said...

The gingham paper is perfect for this garden creation! Love all the little details! Hugs xxx

Penny Silva in Vegas said...

Selene, did you ,ake the tutorial for the watering can yet?

Unknown said...

I am also wondering ( years later) if you made a tutorial for this project and if you are willing to message me or text me with it please. I truly love it!

Unknown said...

dlzimmerman3@gmail.com