Wednesday, June 17, 2009

DCBD 132 ~ A color challenge

It's time for another diva coffee break design challenge! Well, I feel like a slacker today! I really don't like being late, but sometimes life gets in the way! I picked Alexis up from preschool and grampy decided to watch her for a half hour in the back yard with the swing set.

I thought "how wonderful it must be to be retired, and be able to swoop in and rescue your grandchild for a half hour" and more importantly.. "woo hoo ~ a half hour of concentration so I could do my challenge card! Thank You Grampy!!!

I went back to my new favorite technique, the reinker float. I embossed on shimmer white and this time used 3 colors, bashful blue, night of navy and artichoke to create the focal point for this fun card. I love that I was late, and I'm making a card with a clock, talking about being unhurried.. Ironic. :)

I wish i had craft reinker. I think that would have added to the look and gotten it closer to the inspiration piece.

I changed my mind midway through making this and decided to go landscape instead of portrait , which means my (embossed) background is the wrong way.... but I decided to let it go (those who know me well would be proud).

Then ~ out of nowhere ~ (don't you just love it when stuff works out) I realized that one of my scallop circle dies from sizzix fit's the clock perfectly! I used direct to paper to smooth ink all over this card in select places, and on the scallops to make the cardstock not so plain. I used my slot punch, to punch a hole at the top of the card, at the fold, and ran my ribbon through the hole. Then i just layered everything together.

This might make a nice fathers day card for Grampy from Alexis.. I don't know.. maybe it's too grown up. Either way, I like it!

Great colors and I cant wait to see what the other diva's have come up with!

Is it Friday yet?
Selene~

8 comments:

Brenda said...

that's just beautiful, Selene! I love that technique and your card turned out awesome!

Ilse Vargas said...

It looks beautiful! I don't have the set, but great way to use the die! I'm waiting for Friday too :)
Greetings,

Kelly A. Swienton said...

Great card Selene -- glad you had the opportunity to steal away and create! CONGRATULATIONS on being featured in the Stampin' Success, you truly deserve it!

Brenda said...

Beautiful, just beautiful!

Kristin Moore said...

Selene, I love it. I wouldn't have noticed about the background being the wrong direction. THis is just wonderful!! Awesom euse of the colors and that stamp set!

Julia Aston said...

Beautiful design on this - love the time piece theme and great technique! thanks for coming by my blog and leaving a comment! off to browse through your cards!

Luv 2 Cre8 With U said...

Great job, Selene! I am glad you find the time to get your card done for this week's challenge. I love the face of the clock.

Anonymous said...

Your FLOAT is wonderful--I have not tired that that tech. yet. Love that set--I used it for my BC!
It's even better to know it's in the new catty!
TFS, Nola