Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Crystal Effects Paper Pin, and a double challenge

Oh did I have fun with this one! The sketch is from Mojo Monday, and I also had a challenge from the Diva Coffee Break Design group to make a project using the big shot. I combined all of that, and started with a paper pin I made for a demonstrator event that I got to speak at this past weekend.

Tami White asked me to present at her demo extravaganza and show the paper pin technique. I was so excited. I had a few paper pins leftover from this weekend, and when I saw the mojo Monday sketch for this week, I though it would be a good combination challenge.

For this paper pin, I took 5 pieces of dsp from one of the hostess paper packs and glued them together with mod podge.

Second, I cut the 6x6 paper in half, and ran half through my big shot with the butterfly die. So i get 2 pins out of one 6x6 pack of 5 sheets glued together.

Next, I sponged the edges with some lovely lilac ink to give them some dimension. Then, you would want to paint both sides (one at a time) with crystal effects. Start with a few thin coats and let them dry about 20 minutes on each side. Note: Dont lay them on paper.. make sure your work surface is plastic. When they have several thin layers on both sides. then lay a heavy layer of crystal effects on top. let this dry for at least 2 hours before handling. I used a little more crystal effects to stick the butterfly pieces together.

To make the butterfly body, I used my stampin up tabletop paper trimmer to trim a very thin layer of cardstock I folded the piece in half so that the two ends are at the top and become the top of the butterfly. The bottom I twisted, to make it easy to slide a few beads from the pretties kit onto the body.

So one pin, ends up being 10 layers of designer series paper, and has crystal effects also. The dimension of this element on a card front is nothing short of breathtaking!

Again, I stuck everything together with the crystal effects including the body of the butterfly (to hold the beads on the paper and to stick them to the butterfly wings.

Next, I went to see the sketch from the Mojo Monday blog. I really liked the panel in the middle, but made it a bit larger to show the next technique I had in mind. I really like the decor element's stencils that are our right now from stampin up, but I havent had the extra money to purchase another one. So, I took a piece of paper and cut out this design from a piece of paper, and made my own stencil. I sponged two colors over, amethyst and eggplant. Leaving gaps with both colors so that my sponged image (on shimmer white) would have different shades of colors floating throughout the whole image. It's so pretty in real life. I love the way it turned out.

8 comments:

Ilse Vargas said...

It's beautiful! Greetings.

Olena said...

I really love this! ~Olena~

Krista said...

Your card (double challenge) looks so nice ! Love how you did the background from the square panel !!

Luv 2 Cre8 With U said...

Your butterfly pin is very pretty. You did a really nice job on this challenge.

Kelly A. Swienton said...

Oooo, very lovely card. I love the soft colors!

Adventures in Abundance said...

Very pretty card.

Julee (Vervegirl) said...

Such a pretty card! Thanks for playing! :)

Teresa Kline said...

wow, this is gorgoeus....thanks for playing with the mojo makers!
enjoy *~*