Saturday, July 14, 2012

Saturday Sketch Challenge 264, A Reason To Smile Sunflower Card

Good Morning Friends,

I can't believe doing this post got away from me!!  That never happens!  I've been back from vacation for only a few days, but I'm getting ready to leave for stampin up convention this week. 

I had a team meeting last night and after they left, I fell asleep on the couch! 

Gretchen has a fun sketch for us this week.  I LEAPED out of my comfort zone with this color combination.  :)

Colors: Midnight Muse, Tangerine Tango and Summer Starfruit, which I have another loving name for that I shouldn't share. :)

I started with a 3 x 4 piece of shimmer white and stamped a background using the new Reason to smile sunflower in tangerine, and stamped the small flower in midnight muse.  Then, I used a blender pen to move the color around.  For the center of the flower, I used the coordinating circle stamp and stamped that in the starfruit color in the center of each of my sunflowers.

I matted that with a 3 1/8" x 4 1/8" midnight muse layer.  

I set that aside and grabbed a piece of the scrap from the shimmer, and stamped my sunflower for the focal point.  I punched it out using my scalloped circle punch.  Notice the funky edge on the flower?  Well, I stuck the piece of card stock back on to a piece of computer paper, and rotated my punch and punched again.  Then just removed the computer paper from the back and sponged it with tangerine tango ink.  I like how it looks similar to the shape of the sunflower.  That GORGEOUS embellishment on top is a summer starfruit dahlia.  My absolute favorite new accessory from the main catalog!  just glue dot it on any flowery project and you're good to go! :)   I added dimensionals to the back of this layer and set it aside.

Next, I cut the "so kind of you" layer. This piece measures 1 1/2"  x 3 1/2" and I just tucked it under the matte for the top layer. 

Under that, is layer 2, it is tangerine tango 4 x 5 1/4", embossed with the fancy fan embossing folder.  :)
And the base layer is shimmer white 11 x 4 1/4", scored and folded in half at 5 1/2"

I hope you have a wonderful weekend!
Rubbah hugs,
Selene Kempton


4 comments:

irishgalkelly said...

Beautiful Selene! Love the colors and how you punched the flower, as it goes with this stamp perfectly. I even had to go grab my punch and give that a try! Very cool.

Jeannie said...

Very pretty! I'm case'ing to advertise this set for my Open House on Tuesday! Thanks for the inspiration -- love the dahlia center!

Tammy said...

Love the color combo--great job!! I'll see ya this week!!!!

Patti Chesky said...

I love the colors you've used on this!!!! You should go out of your comfort zone more often!!!! Have a great time at Convention!!!