Friday, February 3, 2012

Saturday Sketch Challenge 241 ~ Everybunny!

Good Evening Everybunny!

It's time for the Stamping 411 sketch challenge.  It's not very often that I decide to do a sketch around a card that I've made, but I sent some of these to leadership with my buddy Robin Merriman and she swapped them out for me with some AMAZING swappers.  A week later I got a package of happiness in the mail!  (15 awesome cards!) 

When I do a swap, I do tend to put more pressure on myself to come up with something that will reflect my style and my work.  If you've ever been in a swap, I'm sure you probably feel the same way.  I'm very happy with this one.

So ~ I'd like to take a minute to first talk about the bunny and how I colored him.  First, I took a pink pirouette marker and colored on a plastic bag.  I took an aqua painter and picked up with it.  I washed the color on the egg, soft and even.  I did the same thing with the pool party marker color for the ground and i did the same with a basic grey marker for the bunny.

After that, I added straight marker color to the scarf, and the bottom of the egg.  I also traced the bottom left of the bunny with the straight grey marker.  He looks so cute in that light, like he's ready to jump out of that egg!   Then, I went back to the soft sky with aqua painter and added a line of shadow on the bottom right side under the egg.  To do that, I just picked up a darker area of the ink from my plastic bag, and kept my aqua painter more on the dry side.  I really put a lot of love into my watercolor.  For a full tutorial for water coloring with markers, you can check out this tutorial.   

I got the color combination from a baby doll bag.  I got this cute bag from a doll I purchased for a close friends daughter.  The colors were pink pirouette, wisteria wonder, soft sky.  I typically don't do pastel type colors, but I'm digging this combination. 

One last thing before I do the measurements.. For the sentiment banner, I used a 1/2" strip of pink pirouette.  I stamped the sentiment, then put the banner down on my score tool from stampin up, and scored it 4 times.  twice on either side of the sentiment, then again 1 /4" away from each side.  This made my banner pop up nicely!  Just love this technique!  Then I put the ends in my square punch and used my punch to make the fun "V" tails.  By using my punch, the sides came out the same distance on each side.  How cool is that?  :D

Okay, now I'm ready to talk measurements:

Base: 8 1/2" x 5 1/2", scored and folded in half at 4 1/4"
Layer 2: pool party 4 x 5 1/4"
Layer 3: 4" x 1 1/2" sweet shop designer series paper
Layer 4: 5" of pink pirouette taffeta, and a bow!  :D
Layer 5 and 7: 2 1/2" x 2 1/4"
Layer 6 and 8: 2 3/8" x 2 1/8"

Stamps: Everybunny
Ink: Stazon Black, markers pirouette, wisteria, soft sky
Paper: pirouette, wisteria, pool party
Accessories:Sweet shop Designer paper and pirouette taffeta

Needless to say, I cant wait to see what my buddies come up with for this sketch (and you if you have time to play).  Please go check out what my girlfriends are doing too!  Please take a few minutes and go check it out!  Besides, we even give you measurements!  :D  Love that!

TGIF!  Have a wonderful weekend and I'm sorry but (GO PATS!!)  says the girl from New England.  :D

Rubbah hugs,
Selene Kempton

7 comments:

Rose said...

Very sweet card, love the coloring and the designer paper used. Great job.

Lady and the Stamp said...

I am not a pastel person but I love this card and colour combo so, so much! I feel like ordering this bunny set right now! Great tip on the pop up banner :)

Patti Chesky said...

Woo hoo! I have this card in person, and it's even MORE gorgeous than the photo depicts. I love how you grounded the bunny by watercoloring the background. Love this!

Barbipoo said...

Thanks for the quick tutorial on making the banner pop. I love your blog!

Hi, I'm Lee Conrey! said...

Totally adorable. Love that little bunny and how you colored him. So flippin' sweet!

gbarron56 said...

Selene -- I love this card. The colors are so soft and springy! Just Beautiful! Blessings, Gretchen

Unknown said...

This card is stunning!! I am so happy that I actually have one in my little ole hand!! All my customers comment on this card all the time when I have my swaps out to show off!! Great job!!