Monday, September 28, 2009

Mojo Monday Coolness and mini tutorial

When I saw the sketch at mojo monday this morning, I almost didn't do it. I thought to myself that there were too many elements and I really try to keep it simple.

Well, one hour later, some embossing, bigshot~ting, and a whole lotta shimmer paint I'm excited with my end result. This is most certainly over the top.

Starting from the beginning...

Layer 1: I cut to 10 1/2" x 5 1/4" and folded in half with my bone folder.

Layer 2: I cut to 5" square.

The strip down the middle is 1 3/4" of red, with 1 1/2" of striped paper on top.
Then I used random measurements and shapes for the side panels to follow the sketch.

To make the white pocket, I used a 3x7" piece of whisper white. Scored on the long ends at 2 3/4" and down the middle at 3 1/2" this formed my pocket. I over cut the notches a bit so my flaps would fold over easy.

Next, I punched a notch out of my cardstock using my one inch circle punch for my bookmark holder.

Notice the notches on the SU! punch as in the photo below? Every SU punch has these. They indicate the middle on your punches. So in this case, if you wanted, you could create a punch that looks like 1/2 circle and have it be perfect, or you could even do a 1/4 inch circle by lining it up with two of the notches. So, I punched out a half circle in my pocket for my bookmark to sit in. This would also fit a gift card size pocket.

The bottom two photos show a close up of the snowflake punch, with a rhinestone that I removed from the casing, then colored with shimmer paint to get it to match my "gold tone" project. I also colored my bling and brad on the bookmark with the champagne shimmer paint to keep it all the same.

I embossed the sentiment with red craft ink and gold embossing powder, but tried to keep the stamp on the dry side, so you would see some of the red coming through.

the background snowflakes were inked in soft suede and i added shimmer paint to the stamp using a sponge dauber (picking the paint up from the cover after shaking) then stamping that on my cardstock!

What a fabulous start to the week!

12 comments:

Carole'Anne AKA Stampin Stressaway said...

Hello
You look did such an amazing job on this card.
All I can say
WHOWZY! :)
I sooooooooo Love it!
Thank you so much for the wonderful inspiration!

nelia said...

This turned out great! Love the bookmark in the pocket - thanks for the pics too!

carolm said...

gorgeous!!!!!

xoxoxo

Lianne Carper said...

What a beautiful card. You did an amazing job with this week's Mojo challenge.

Lianne Carper
www.cardscraps.com

Dori Shelton said...

So pretty! Thanks for the tutorial.

Erna Logtenberg said...

What an awesome card!! Fabulous!!

Family Fun said...

Love this card. I will definitely try one soon.

Anjou Krelovich said...

Wow! Stunning!

Jeannie said...

Beautiful card. Little confused though -- the notches are where to indicate the 1/2 way point? Granted, I'm not at home to see a punch, but I'm usually making little tic marks with a fine tip marker to show my 1/2 way point, which is where I THINK it should be, not necessarily where it is (eye-balled, in other words). Jeannie

mary.schultz said...

I came to your site to check out the hearts used to make a scallop, and I couldn't stop looking! I LOVE your designs, and have bookmarked your blog for future browsing.

Andrea M said...

This is amazing!!! Wow - will have to case this one :)

Unknown said...

This came out great! Thanks for the mini tutorial. I'm going to have to CASE you, again!