Tuesday, September 11, 2012

9/11 thoughts & Stampin' Up! Perfectly Preserved


Good Morning Friends,

First, a personal note this morning...

I still remember 9/11/2001 like it was yesterday. It was a bright and chilly morning like this morning!  I was at home doing homework.  At that time I was a full time graphic design student.  I got an instant message from a fellow student to tune into a video.  

When I saw what was happening, I instantly dropped what I was doing and called my new hubby and told him to drop what he was doing ~ to find a TV and plant himself there.  I was watching a live feed online of the scene.  I didn't know what was happening yet, it was just the first plane.  When the second plane hit, it was clear to me that something horrible was happening.  

Yet, in the midst of such horror, there were many angels around us, showing us the true human spirit.  Those willing to stand up for others and run towards the buildings to save others from peril.

After the tragedy, I traveled to the location of the fallen towers and tried to get my own photos, but my camera at the time wasn't the best.  I took a cruise out into the harbor to see the lights.  These shining beacons where the towers once stood.  It was a beautiful trip ~ it was hard to meet some of the local people who were still quite shaken and trying to rebuild.  

To all of the people who were in those buildings, for the first responders, for those who perished, for the families of all those who were there, may God bless you and look after you today and every day. Also, for those in the armed forces, the families that live without mom and dad every day so that those folks can protect our way of life.  Thank you.  Like many, I will never forget.

I made this card for the stamping 411 sketch challenge that was going to be coming up, the week before we decided to take a break.  I have about 9 sketches made that I am not using.. maybe I'll post them here. We shall see. :) 


This card has a lot of layers!  :)  I had fun making it when I was planning my stamp club projects last month.  

First, how about some measurements.
Base Layer: 8 1/2" x 5 1/2", scored and folded in half at 4 1/4"
Layer 2: Raspberry Ripple, cut to 5 x 3 3/4", then embossed with the Argyle Embossing folder.
Layer 3: very vanilla layer cut from the Labels collection framelits
Layer 4: is the same thing, next size down I stamped the canning jar directly on this layer
Layer 5: is a piece of designer paper down the center 1 1/2" wide x 5" long.
Layers above that are all pieces cut with the perfectly preserved framelits from the holiday catalog.  How cool is this!  

So you stamp the apple, the core, the just for you, and cut all at once!  Happy dance!!  :) {sorry that} I did use a LOT of products on this card, but I was having fun!  :)  
 I have been working very hard coming out with a class planner for the breast cancer fundraiser.  It's coming!  I'm so sorry if my blog has been suffering a teensy tiny bit, but I'm working so hard!  

The next class planner proceeds will be donated for breast cancer research and add towards the event totals to help the charity.  I can't wait to finish!  

Today ~ I'm in a sentimental mood, so I'll leave you with this thought.  Give those you love a big hug today, and hold on to them for an extra minute or two.  Live every moment to the fullest!  

Thanks for stopping by and God Bless You.
Selene Kempton

1 comments:

Andrea L - EnchantINK said...

Sept 11 is like the 1st man on the moon. We will always remember where we were when it happened. I saw it live ... All the way here in AUS! I was visiting my mum & dad in another state ... And was watching it on the TV as I climbed into bed! So shocking ... And something I will also never forget. Thanks for sharing your thoughts today! Hugs xxx