Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Happy Birthday to my BFF ~ SSC346

When it rains it pours as far as being busy, but you never want to be too busy to send a card to your BFF.

Roxie over on SCS was looking for a few volunteers to make a sample card! How excited am I that she emailed me back?? When I saw the sketch from split coast stampers this week, I knew that I wanted to make a card for my BFF. I just hope that she receives this card BEFORE she sees it here.

A true BFF is someone you can be YOURSELF with and no matter what, they just GET you. So this one is for my BFF, Barbie. This is so US!

So First, I'd like to share my measurements:
Base layer: is 5 1/2" x 8 1/2", scored and folded in half at 4 1/4"
Layer 2: 5 1/8" x 3 5/8" in espresso.
Layer 3: 5 x 3 3/4" GORGEOUS new DSP from the Stampin' Up! holiday mini, holly berry bouquet. (this design looks like spring!)
Layer 4: quilted espresso ribbon from the holiday mini, I used 3 layers to fit the sketch better.
Layer 5: espresso 2 7/8 x 3 7/8"
Layer 6: watercolor paper 2 3/4" x 3 3/4"
Layer 7: espresso scalloped oval punch
Layer 8: Large oval punch

Stamps: Not So Seriously, Occasions Alphabet
Ink: Stazon and markers (cobbler and espresso)
Accessories: Aquapainter, watercolor paper, smooch pearlized accent ink in Gold lame (to paint her earings and shoes), quilted satin ribbon in espresso color (from the holiday mini)

First, I started stamping... I tried stamping the image with sentiment on bright white card stock and instantly knew I'd prefer to watercolor this project. However, I didn't have much DSP that had off white, and I knew she couldn't be bright white. :D

I stamped the images again and cut out the present. Next, I took my markers and aqua painter and water colored the image. For a tutorial on how to watercolor with markers, see this post.

I used blush blossom for the skin color, and added blushing bride to her cheek. I painted the earrings and shoes with gold smooch accent ink to give just the right amount of sparkle. Next, I stuck those layers together and referred back to this week's sketch. I added 3 layers of the quilted satin ribbon to follow the sketch. Then, I tied the gorgeous double bow with Lee Conrey's amazing bow maker.

I inked the sentiment using the two different marker colors again, and punched that out with an oval punch. I LOVE the way the sentiment oval goes up and down instead of the long way. :D Finally I cut two small bouquets of little flowers. One for my BFF's hand, and one for the top of my oval. I cut the flowers right out of the DSP underneath. Isn't that fun??

I hope you have time to play along with Roxie's Sketch over on SCS this week! Thanks for looking!
Rubbah hugs,
Selene Kempton

0 comments: