Friday, July 8, 2011

Saturday Sketch Challenge 211

Good Evening Friends!

It's time for another Saturday night sketch challenge from my buddies over at stamping 411.

It's been a crazy week here. We were away camping over the 4th, then my birthday was the 6th. Perhaps that's why I wanted to make such a bright birthday card with this week's sketch. I'm really digging poppy parade lately. I ran through about 3 packs of it in the past month or so and had to order some more (with my first order of the new catalog)... Oh I want so much more.

Suffice it to say, it's been an eventful week two. My laptop is on it's last leg.... buying a new one may mean me running out to get the full version of photoshop too, which is like buying two computers.. LOL The washer broke, but thanks to a wonderful mother in law, a new one of those is on order, and then the fun part...

We have a queen sized bed in our camper that sits on rails and slides out the back of the camper... well, the rails are no longer connected to the ceiling on the inside... so we'll have to deal with that sometime this week. Then, last night.... Oh yea, I broke my big shot! Luckily that has a 3 year warranty when you buy it through your SU demonstrator (as opposed to a big box store ~ wink wink)! They are sending me that in a hurry so I can finish my swaps! I love Stampin' Up! Alas ~ today, when given the opportunity to take my little one to the movies for $9, I jumped at it and ran out the door with her. This too shall pass, but when one thing breaks, they all go! :D I have a tiny bit of guilt now, having signed up to go to convention but for me, it's like a class that pays for itself all year long. I love going to convention and meeting up with all my bestest buds. If you're there and see me, please come and say hi! I'm flying solo this year, so I dont even have any dinner plans (except for Saturday).

Well enough about my week... How about we talk about this cute card!?! I love pulling a color combination by using my designer paper.. 99% of my cards start with a designer paper because frankly, it make designing so darn easy! This paper is from the new Idea Book and catalog and is called Just Cake. i cut a piece of this off at an angle to get the candle stripes to go on an angle like a real candle would. :D So let's talk measurements:

Base: Crumb Cake Cardstock 8 1/2" x 5 1/2" scored and folded in half at 4 1/4" ~ embossed with the polka dot embossing powder
Layer 2: poppy parade 3 1/2" square, embossed with the vintage wallpaper embossing folder
Layer 3: (DSP from Just add Cake) 1 3/4" x 2 3/4" and corner rounded.
Layer 3A: (the flame) is a piece of daffodil cardstock, punched from the blossom petal builders die and sponged with poppy ink
Layer 5: is an extra large oval.
I matted layer 5 with two of the blossom bouquet triple layer punches. It makes a cute little border. I used baja 1/8 taffeta for the strip going up the side.. and that's all she wrote!

I hope you have time to play along this week, and I hope you have time to stamp4fun this week too!

Rubbah hugs,
Selene Kempton

9 comments:

Denise Willerton said...

What a fabulous card Selene ~ and what a crazy birthday week you've had! Happy Happy Birthday my dear! oh how I wish I was joining you at convention!!!

LeAnne said...

Wow, this is awesome...even if your week wasn't! I'll be at convention, flying solo too! I hope we meet up! And I am going to try to convince Denise that she needs to go, maybe next year!!!

Patti Chesky said...

Love, love, love that big honkin' candle!!!! Sorry to hear that you had a bad week.

See you in a few days chickie!!!!

Caro's Kaartjes said...

When one thing breaks down all comes at once (we say here in Holland).
Hope you'll be having better luck next week!
Gorgeous card. Love the big candle. a real eyecatcher.
I know what you mean when you say: "I want so much".
Actually I want it all...but unfortunately my budget hasn't got stretch!
Have fun on the convention!
Big hug from overseas,
Caro

Beth Robinson said...

Selena...I love your card..I'm sure you are glad that your week is over...
I wish I was going to convention...had planned on it but had to have surgery instead...take care...
check out my blog if you get a chance
www.bethfesperman.blogspot.com

mel m. m. mccarthy said...

What a gorgeous card! Love the candle. SO glad that your big shot is being replaced! :)

Mary Davidson said...

Love, love, love your card, Selene! Happy Belated Birthday!

Zenifer Dsouza said...

Its really an helpful blog on Birthday candles

It helped me a lot...
Just the best thing
Got just the right thing...
Thanks for sharing such information....

At Paula's Place said...

I also love the candle on your card, using the blossom punch is so genius. Have a great week this week and fun at convention.