Friday, May 7, 2010

Saturday Sketch Challenge 150 (SSC150) ~ A card for my brother

Good Evening Friends!

It's Friday night and that means, another fun sketch from the stamping 411 team!

One of the biggest issues I hear from customers and friends is that they have trouble making cards for guys.. Sometimes ~ I struggle with this too. I decided to make a card for my brother tonight. Some of my girlfriends met him in person at leadership two years ago. He's down just about 100 lbs, and is looking pretty spiffy, but in the heart dept, he's been hurting a bit.

He's also naturally a comedian, so I wanted this card to contain 10% joke, 90% serious. I want him to know that I really am here for him, and worry about him... Anyway I used some of the NEW and FABULOUS Travel Journal Paper from Stampin Up! I also used two kinds of "manly" ribbon and a button..

Base layer is: 8 1/2 x 5 1/2, scored and folded in half a 4 1/4"
layer 2: 4 x 5 1/4"
layer 3: 3 7/8" x 5 1/8"
layer 4: 3 3/4" x 5"
Layer 5:4 1/4" x 3 3/4"
Layer 6: 4 1/8" x 3 5/8"
layer 7: Dsp 4 x 1 and 4 x 1 1/2"

Whew!!!
Okay.. so I used a lot of layers. I kept the embellishments to a minimum because guys (okay ~ my guy) says he doesn't "get" (understand) why we need them... :) A good lesson for me, because we all know the answer is accessories!!! That's a clear button that the bow is tied on, and I just used a glue dot to attach it..

So ~ the 10 percent joke is the I'm (here with the arrow) for you... He finds the humor in everything and I think it's cute that there's a map.. (you can call me a DORK! cause it's true).. The inside is stamped with the other half of the phrase "please know that I care". So this one is going in the mail to my big brother. Do you think it's masculine enough?

11 comments:

Nance Leedy said...

I am sure your brother will "get" this card! It's a great use of the DSP and just perfectly "manly". Thanks for your comment on my blog!

Stamping in Bedford said...

I love it! You are so right - guys are hard. This could be adapted for anyone. Colors are perfect and just enough of a bow. Thanks for the ideas... Barbara

Unknown said...

This is a great card Selene and I know Paul will love it! I like the whimsy in it - that paper is perfect!

Hi, I'm Lee Conrey! said...

WOW!!!! I never even saw this paper. I'm beginning to think you are the Queen of guy cards. I love this one and so will your brother Paul. It's fabulous with a touch of "Selene" and he'll know that too!

Erna Logtenberg said...

Hi Selene, Your card is beautiful! And I'm sure your brother will like it!

Cynthia Stevenson said...

This is a wonderful way to add some "pretty" to a guy card. That Travel Journal paper is great stuff and I love what you did with this card. Any guy would love it even with the button!
Cynthia

Patti Chesky said...

Selene, your brother is going to love his card. The meaning behind it is amazing!!! You always put sucj thought into your projects, and that just makes them even more special.

Kerin said...

LOVE the map dsp with that sentiment, very clever!! I'm sure your brother will love it!

Andrea L - EnchantINK said...

Oh ... I so wish I could find time to do a Stamping 411 challenge! They are one of my favourites ... but just can't seem to get there! This is just LURVELY, Selene! Great themed card! Hugs xxAxx

Unknown said...

What a great card Selene!! I love that DSP and you did a wonderful job with it!!!

Connie Babbert said...

Wonderful masculine card! Love the colors.